The list of WSSCA approved mentors shall be posted on the WSSCA website and shall be updated yearly. The Judges Education Chairperson will send the annual listing to AKC and the WSSCA webmaster.
Approval from the WSSCA Board of Directors and the WSSCA Judges Education Committee is needed for a person to be listed and considered as a WSSCA approved Mentor.
Approval from the WSSCA Board of Directors shall come from a majority vote. If either the WSSCA Board of Directors or the WSSCA Judges Education Committee does not approve an application, the application shall be denied. In the case that an applicant is denied, the person shall be supplied with the reason for the decision by the WSSCA President.
WSSCA approval of a mentor shall be valid for two years from the date of approval, after such time, the person must again apply for approval.
A 2/3rds WSSCA Board of Directors vote for mentor removal, accompanied with a recommendation for mentor removal by the WSSCA Judges Education Committee, shall remove a person from the Mentor list. In the case that a person is removed from the mentor’s list, the person shall be supplied by the WSSCA President with the reason for the decision.
Each mentor shall, within a week of the mentoring session, disperse a WSSCA Mentor Feedback Form to each student. The completed form will be mailed or emailed to the Judges Education Chairperson for feedback and monitoring of the Mentor Program. The mentor shall not participate in or be present during the completion of the form.
Mentors shall conduct themselves in a professional manner that reflects positively on the Welsh springer spaniel, the Welsh Springer Spaniel Club of America, Inc., and the American Kennel Club.
Each Mentor Program Applicant must complete the WSSCA Mentor Program Application and submit a signed hard copy of this to the Judges Education Chairperson for consideration. The Judges Education Committee will examine the application and send their recommendation for the applicant’s acceptance to the WSSCA Recording Secretary accompanied by a hard or electronic copy of the application. The WSSCA President shall bring the application and Judges Education Committee recommendation to the WSSCA Board of Directors for voting.
Mentors shall disperse a completed WSSCA Mentoring Program Form to each student and shall maintain a list of all persons mentored, the date of the mentoring sessions, and the location of the mentoring sessions. The mentor shall send a list of persons mentored to the Judges Education Committee Chairperson for records at least once a year. The list of mentored judges shall be published in the Judges Education Annual Report. Any mentor who fails to submit their list of mentored judges in the said time frame is subject to removal from the Mentor list.
Each approved mentor shall be issued a WSSCA Mentor Number.
The qualifications for a mentor are:
- Must have extensive experience with the Welsh springer spaniel in AKC conformation shows and extensive knowledge of the AKC Breed Standard for the Welsh springer spaniel.
- Must be a member in good standing of WSSCA and AKC.
- Must be able to describe breed characteristics in specific terms using correct canine terminology (AKC Glossary of Terms).
- Must have at least 12 years of involvement with breeding Welsh springer spaniels and showing Welsh springer spaniels in AKC conformation.
- Must have at least 4 litters of Welsh springers bred and raised on premises.
- Must have owned or bred at least 10 AKC conformation champions.
- Must have attended at least one WSSCA approved breed seminar in the past four years.
- Must have attended at least two WSSCA specialties (National or Regional) in the past six years.
- Except in the initial round of 2006-2007 applications, applicants must have attended at least one AKC Spaniel Hunting Test or WSSCA Working test in the past six years. Those 2006-2007 applicants who have not attended at least one AKC Spaniel Hunting Test or WSSCA Working test in the past six years shall attend a Hunting Test or WSSCA Working test by December 31, 2007. Proof of attendance (Running Order signed by the event chairperson or secretary) must be submitted to the WSSCA Judges Education Chairperson prior to December 31st, 2007. Failure to attend or provide proof of attendance will result in removal from the Mentor list.
- Must enjoy interacting with others and be pleasant and able to communicate in an understandable, clear and insightful manner.
It is preferable that each mentor have judged a WSSCA sweepstakes, a WSSCA match, and/or Welsh springer spaniels at an AKC show.
- PLEASE NOTE! The mentor forms are now interactive. If you have any problems with the forms please notify the webmaster.
- To have full capabilities in completing, saving and if needed, emailing the completed forms to the Judges Education Committee chairperson you must have a current Adobe PDF Reader. The upgrade is available, free of charge, at www.adobe.com.